A. Quincy Jones, FAIA
Much of the work of A. Quincy Jones, FAIA, from the 1960s has been in the design of buildings for university campuses and of office buildings. But he first gained recognition in residential work in the postwar era when the need for housing was acute. Born in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1913, Jones was a professor of architecture at the University of Southern California from 1951-67.
While in private practice in Los Angeles from 1937, his houses set standards of excellence that affected all house design of the postwar period, especially the tract house, to which he was one of the few to give architectural consideration. A characteristic of these small houses was the simplified structural system which allowed for spatial diversity, in contrast to the usual static box. Certain characteristics of Jones' large-scale work grew out of his solutions for residences, particularly in siting and in the development of flexible structural systems.
In his larger building, his experiments were aimed at the integration of mechanical systems; previous to his research, each system was treated as a separate element, and their haphazard installation reduced their efficiency and retrievable space.
Two examples of this are the 1959 Biological Sciences Building on the Santa Barbara campus and the 1967 Chemistry Building on the Riverside campus of the University of California. These two projects are dominated by a heavy continuous cap which houses an integrated mechanical system, and it is expressed on the interiors by a prefabricated coffered ceiling of concrete which carries conduits in the channel.
This same scheme was adapted for the 1972 Annenberg School of Communications at the University of Southern California. The main entrance is interrupted by plazas at two levels, the plazas serving as meeting places for students, with one extended to a protected patio.